The garbage disposal is one of the most used kitchen plumbing appliances. It makes cleaning up after a meal fast and easy. Disposals also cut down on food waste in the trash can that smells and attracts bugs. Although garbage disposals aren’t expensive to replace, you still want to keep the one you have working as long as possible. Check out these dos and don’ts of garbage disposal usage to get many years of uninterrupted service.
- Do clean the disposal using cold water and dish soap.
- Don’t put fibrous food scraps in the disposal. Food scraps such as banana peels, potato skins, and celery stalks get caught between the blades and cause jams.
- Do sharpen the blades regularly using ice cubes.
- Don’t put oil or cooking fats down the disposal. These substances harden as they cool and cling to the interior of pipes. Over time, this creates massive clogs.
- Don’t put large amounts in the garbage disposal. Break up the food scraps, disposing small amounts at one time.
- Do get professional service when problems arise.
If you’re experiencing garbage disposal problems, give Plumb Doctor, LLC, a call today. Our experienced plumbers have specialized skills and the best equipment to take care of all kitchen plumbing services. We offer affordable plumbing services and always have specials and discounts available to keep more money in your pocket. Whether you need garbage disposal repair or garbage disposal installation, count on our licensed plumbers for 24-hour plumbing services.
As the area’s leading plumber, we strive to always provide our customers with the friendly service. If you’re experiencing problems with any part of your home’s plumbing system, we have affordable solutions. Call us today to learn more about all our residential plumbing services!